Location: Mason City, IA
Shift: Days 6a-6:30p, Every third - EOH, 36 hrs/wk, 13 Weeks contract
Job Description: This position accepts the responsibility and accountability for the delivery of patient care during the patient’s stay, through the use of the nursing process. Directs patient/family education and delegates to ancillary personnel while maintaining professional nursing standards.
- A. Assesses patient’s physical, psychosocial, environmental, spiritual, social and education needs.
- B. Develops and implements patient’s plan of care, including the discharge plan based on standards of nursing practice, health center policy, and patient/family needs. Reviews and updates the plan of care based on changes in patient’s condition.
- C. Evaluates and documents patient/family responses to nursing interventions while working collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team to achieve desired patient care outcomes.
- D. Provides or facilitates learning opportunities to meet the educational needs of patient/family by assessing the learning needs and formulating and initiating a teaching plan to meet those needs.
- E. Guides and directs patient care activities for the above-indicated population, by utilizing clinical/critical thinking skills.
- F. Effectively communicates pertinent patient changes/conditions to coworkers and to multidisciplinary caregivers.
- G. Serves as a steward for the hospital’s human and material resources. Meets productivity expectations of unit/department as defined by unit manager.
- H. Adapts positively to the ever changing health care environment by supporting technology and process changes. Willing to learn new things, is open to change and maintains a calm, positive manner under stressful conditions.
- I. Identifies and takes action to solve problems, supports process improvement teams, which influence customer satisfaction, clinical outcomes and financial stability.
- J. Documents patient information in the electronic/paper medical record in an accurate, timely manner.
- K. Delegates/supervises appropriately based on patient needs and the scope of practice.
- L. Provides competent patient care to the above indicated patient populations by obtaining and appropriately interpreting data, making appropriate decisions based on demonstrated knowledge of age-specific growth and development, and appropriately adapting procedures and treatments.
- M. Maintains required department confidentiality and abides by HIPPA regulations.
- N. Provides competent patient care to the above indicated patient populations by obtaining and appropriately interpreting data, making appropriate decisions based on demonstrated knowledge of age-specific growth and development, and appropriately adapting procedures and treatments.
- O. Takes an active role in enhancing ability to carry out job functions through personal and professional/job-related growth and development, and participates in medical center and/or departmental education programs.
- P. Communicates with and performs duties following the philosophy of MercyOne Medical Center – North Iowa and the Sisters of Mercy reflecting the organization’s Mission, Values, and Guiding Behaviors.
- Q. Supports and abides by all medical center, departmental, and safety policies and procedures. Proactively identifies safety concerns surrounding the work environment.
- R. Performs other responsibilities as requested by supervisor, manager or department head.
- A. Serving on a house wide/unit specific process improvement committee or team as needed.
- B. Participates on shared governance councils and/or affinity groups as needed.
- C. Serves as a preceptor for new staff as needed.
- D. Attends and participates in departmental/organizational meetings, inservices and educational opportunities.
- Graduate of a program in professional nursing.
- Must have at least 1+ years of experience in acute care hospital with recent Med/ Surg experience.
- Current RN licensure in the state of Iowa
- Basic Life Support (BLS Provider, American Heart Association; or American Red Cross prior to employment or within 60 days of hire and maintains current status.
- Completes Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) – American Heart Association within 6 months of hire and maintains current status.
- Completes Pediatric Advance Life Support (PALS) – American Heart Association within 6 months of hire and maintains current status.
- Completes Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) – American Heart Association within 6 months of hire and maintains current status.
- Completes MANDT Training within 6 months of hire and maintains current status.
- Completes Trauma Nurse Core Course (TNCC) within 6 months of hire and maintains current status.
- Fully vaccinated for COVID-19